Where the money goes
- Swimathon started in 1986 and since then more than 750,000 swimmers have taken part, raising over £50 million for charity.
- Since 1986, swimmers taking part in the Swimathon have raised funds for a variety of selected charities including Macmillan Cancer Support, NSPCC, The British Heart Foundation, The Prince’s Trust and Marie Curie and Cancer Research UK.
- The Swimathon Foundation, a company limited by guarantee, is the independent registered charity which owns the annual national Swimathon, Open Water Swimathon, School Swimathon and Marathon Swims events.
- The Swimathon Foundation selects a National Charity Partner to promote itself and its charitable activities in association with the Swimathon and to receive funds from members of the public, including those participating in the Swimathon, in support of its activities.
- The selection process is by invitation only and the choice of charity is the decision of the Trustees. The Charity beneficiaries for 2018-2021 are Cancer Research UK and Marie Curie who will be the official charity partners of Swimathon for the next four years.
- The Swimathon Foundation, through its trading subsidiary, arranges the staging and promotion of the Swimathon event in a nationwide network of participating swimming pools, to encourage members of the public, whatever their age or ability, to understand and realise the benefits of regular swimming as a means to improve health and wellbeing and to achieve personal fitness goals. In addition, The Swimathon Foundation aims to support local communities in their efforts to promote the benefits of swimming and offers grants of up to £2,500 as part of its Community Grants Scheme.
- The selected Charity Partners will receive at least 70% of the total funds raised by Swimathon in each year they are the selected benefitting charity. The Foundation will receive the remainder of the funds raised by Swimathon participants in order to fund its operating expenses as the owner of the Swimathon Event and to offer Swimathon Foundation Community Grants to promote swimming participation in communities around Swimathon hosted pools.
- The Swimathon Foundation is a charity registered at the Charities Commission. Charity Number: 1123870